A client that uses our ITRS Geneos integration for managing health checks and ready-for-business activities has seen a marked improvement in its daily, weekly, and monthly operational readiness processes.
The challenge: Manual system health checks
The Markets Team at a Major American Bank had to conduct daily health checks to ensure all applications, hardware, software, databases, and middleware for their markets automatic payments services were set up before trading. Before they had Cutover, this was a highly manual process that took a long time. If there was a problem, the team had to manually look through individual logs, making their incident response time slow. Failure to ensure everything was set up correctly in time would have a negative impact on trading.
The solution: Automated system health checks via integration
The team started using Cutover to manage these daily health checks via an integration with their monitoring tool ITRS Geneos. This removed the need for lots of people to complete a big list of manual tasks and instead fewer people were needed to just kick off and oversee the hundreds of checks being carried out and they were provided with real-time status updates via dashboards.
The integration cut down the team’s incident response time as, rather than having to look through the logs one at a time to see if there were any issues, they could see immediately via Cutover where failures had occurred and where their focus needed to be to fix them.
- Required resources decreased from 5 to 2 people, which allows other strategic and valuable activities to be completed.
- Monitoring capacity now increased from dozens to hundreds of checks which has enabled an expansion in the type of checks performed
- Decrease in execution time as core environment restarts have reduced from 3.5 hours each week to just 5 minutes
- Increase in incident prevention as more checks are being carried out, incidents that would have gone unnoticed before are now being prevented
- Decreased resolution time as incidents are being discovered quicker, therefore more time is available to meet resolution SLAs
The outcome: Saved time and resources on system health checks
As a result of the automation and visibility provided by Cutover, the team has quadrupled its efficiency and reduced the resources required for carrying out the checks by 60%. Monitoring capacity has increased five times and they have saved over 90% of their execution time, enabling them to execute 30,000 tasks in the last quarter.